Group trade against isolation
The UGCPA is a farmers’ organisation established in 1993. It gathers about 3000 male and female producers in the Loop of Mouhoun, in the south-west of Burkina Faso.
The region Loop of Mouhoun is considered the granary of Burkina Faso. Many farmers can produce surpluses, but the isolation and small size of the farms prevent them from selling their products. Therefore, farmers do not have much power when they negociate with traders.
The UGCPA trades its members’ products – maize, sorghum, millet, cowpea, sesame, organic bissap – in a grouped manner. It collects the products, packages them and sells them wholesale. Since 2009, it also provides technical support and agricultural advice to producers so their crops can perform better.
UGCPA & SOS FAIM
Since 2017, SOS Faim has been providing financial support to the UGCPA in order to cover the costs related to two objectives :
- Strengthening the production capacities of its most modest members (around 1000 members) : distribution of inputs and equipment, training courses
- Strengthening the union's capacities : construction of new storehouses for commercialisation, training of managers
What prospects ?
With the support of SOS Faim, the USCCPA hopes to :
- Increase the yields, production and income of its 1000 poorest members
- Attract 500 new members, with the hoped-for number rising from 3,000 in 2017 to 3,500 in 2021
- Boost by around 30% the sales of cereals by the union, which would rise from 3,000 tonnes in 2017 to 4,000 tonnes in 2021